Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

@943
For what it's worth, we know for 100% certainty that immunity lasts at least 5 months, and every day that goes by without definitely documented second infections is one more day on that number.  Everything so far w.r.t. reinfection has been attributed to errors in testing and such a small case number that it's safe to disregard it as not real.  It's almost certainly going to last much longer than that anyhow, when scientists say "we don't know", they don't mean "We don't know and it's bad", they literally just mean we don't know.  Everything reputable I've seen suggests that it will be long lasting immunity once the vaccine exists, but they can't say that because the cost of being wrong if that turns out not to be the case is stupendously bad.

@945
The media has been downplaying it consistently.  Every time the media says "Experts say it can't get this bad" it goes ahead and gets that bad.  Being as most of the media coverage until very recently has been continuously "It can't get worse, we promise" followed by it getting worse, I'm not sure how that's pumping fear into anything.

Of course the worst part is, the media has been repeating experts.  And those experts were right, and if this had been literally any other developed country we'd not be where we are now.  But Trump fucked it up repeatedly, and even now that he's following the script somewhat he can't actually just follow the script for more than a few days at a time.  SO, welcome to 2020, your real life reality tv show as government.  Worked out so well for all of us.