tips for using gnucash

So I am going into the bep vendar program and I'm looking at some open source solutions for cash management. and systems. Because I do not have the money for quickbooks. Has anyone here ever had the chance to play around with gnucash? I'm finding it hard to enter transactions. Or would it be better to just use a spredsheet for this sort of thing?