Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

@982 and 983, answers:
1. Practically speaking, pretty important. Not just for self-defense but for other sports like hunting. People use guns for self-defense more often than you realize; we just don't hear about it because its not usually reported.
2. Rarely, and that's been "rarely" since the last American civil war. Given the tension that's arose this year, however, that may change.
3. Against the government? Answer to 2 was purely a guess -- I have no statistical numbers.
4. Whether they succeed would entirely depend on the size of the force and how well-trained and coordinated it was. The force wouldn't need to be a full frontal assault; there are many kinds of warfair, and the sneakiest of kinds can cripple any authority in power given the right circumstances.
However, the above four questions focused on governmental usage of guns. What about non-governmental usage of self-defense with guns? I did briefly touch on that, and a quick search indicates that this happens far more often than we think. Its hard to come to any justifiable answer because both sides claim different things.
Do I think that we need more gun control? Yes, I do. Do I think that we should do what 981 said? Hell no. To address the other points in 982: I don't feel that getting rid of guns will make America less American at all. I feel that getting rid of guns completely -- or making it somehow a privilege -- will endanger far more people than it would if we didn't get rid of guns or make it some kind of special privilege. Its difficult, I think, for anyone to be completely objective on a matter like this, and no matter who does the research your going to find contradictory information all over the place. I am in favor of better background checks, and better regulation and legislation. What I am not in favor of is tampering with the bill of rights, particular because I can see repealing one amendment leading to the repealing of the first amendment and so on. I just feel that tampering with the constitution like that will lead us down a very dangerous path, and you know what they all say -- the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And though making gun ownership a privilege might be a 'good intention', you just know all the politicians are going to abuse the hell out of it.
I've found some sources in favor and some not, though this just goes to prove the division and the fact that its unlikely we'll reach any kind of satisfactory answer. Some sources in favor include:
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/60214382 … lf-defense
https://www.heritage.org/firearms/comme … t-skeptics
https://fee.org/articles/more-people-us … accidents/
https://americangunfacts.com
And some sources not in favor include:
https://www.wyff4.com/article/how-often … s/10033021
https://vpc.org/revealing-the-impacts-o … e-gun-use/
There are others, too; I read an analogy of sorts that asked why we weren't taking away all the vehicles in the nation because they cause a lot of deaths just like guns do, but I don't remember where that was. Also, according to this, this, and this we're already on the brink of a revolution, or heading towards it. Most likely a combination of the pandemic, BLM, and various other factors. It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point; this entire country is so twisted and messed up we're practically asking for it. I'm proud to be an American, I really am... but some things still piss me off about it, though I suppose you'd find that with any country.