Re: Some possible extra info about the George Floyd incident?

I do actually believe that this could happen to a white person, is the thing.  I haven't researched if it has.  But what people don't get is that the U.S. police as a whole are fundamentally terrible and have a license to do just about anything, and you can't really fight them on it.  So this whole thing becomes about racism instead.  Yeah, racism is important and exists, but I think that if a police officer did this to a white man it would just quietly go away and be under reported.

It's definitely true that racial minorities have more negative encounters with police and it's definitely true that this is more likely to happen to a black man, but somehow everyone stops at this being the problem.  It's not the problem.  The problem is we have police departments with tanks, qualified immunity shielding them, police unions fighting on their behalf.  A big part of why Seattle can't reform the police is that turns out that the Seattle police have a strong union, who are even able to fight the government.  No one seems to get how absurd that is, that the people who are supposed to be served by the police have zero control over the police, and the people who are supposed to be in control of the police apparently don't have that much control, either.  we aren't a police state yet, but doesn't a bunch of people with guns who are legally shielded from anything you might do to them and who can basically tell the local government haha no you can't control us because of your unions sound like a good first step down that road?