Re: Moderator Application: Summer, 2020

Alright.
I am interested in applying for the moderator position. I strive to help wherever I can in other situations, and I would like to help moderate this forum as well. While I don't have actual moderation experience, I do assist in managerial and maintenance tasks on a website in a professional setting, and do work effectively in teams. I pay significant attention to details as well, and am possess skills in getting a good idea of what someone might be saying especially if they are trying to beat around the bush. One weekness, if I let it get the better of me, is the often sarcastic/pointed delivery of some posts which can definitely be hard for some to interpret online. Rest assured, if posts are being made in a moderation capacity, they would be direct and to the point, without wiggle-room for anything to be misinterpreted.
I am online several hours throughout the morning, afternoon and evening, whether it be for work, classes potentially or browsing here on the forum. AS such, if something called my attention I would either get to it right away and get it done quickly, or note it and take care of it at my earliest convenience. If I am truly unavailable I would know when to lt other mods know and would have a very good reason for it. Speaking of communication, I use Discord Canary, and am very familiar with it. I would have no problem using it for communications off-forum.
Now, for the situation:
While there are parts of Jill's message that are subject to interpretation, she most definitely had a personal attack in there, no question. John did as well because he did a bit more than respond in anger. Juan's kind of skirting the line but may hinder rather than help the situation if he continues, so he should probably just drop his case and report the posts, and let the mods handle it. As such, here's how I would respond to it officially.
Moderation:
Jill, regardless of whether or not you used John's gender identity as a slight against him,

Jill wrote:

"You created four different projects and all of them sucked. Maybe this would be a good time to realize this isn't a good fit for you.

This most definitely falls under rule 2 for personal attacks. Constructive criticism is one thing, but this is at best demotivational, and at worst downright damaging if indeed you were going after his gender identity as well with one of your other statements:

Jill wrote:

I mean, I'm only a girl so what the fuck do I know about gaming, right?"

In any case, since you have been banned before, you know better, so you're getting a warning.
***sidenote: It was not specified whether or not a year had passed since Jill's 90 day ban, so this is partially off the record: Alternate statement: In any case, since you have been banned before, you know better, so you're getting a warning that will expire in 180 days rather than 90.*** Back to the official post.
@John, consider this an official warning. The entirety of that post was a personal attack against Jill. It is understandable if you are angry, but calling her a waste of space around here is most definitely going too far, and has no place on the forum. Please do not make this escalate
any further. If you are angry at Jill for insulting you, you could have just reported it and left it alone.
Juan: I understand and appreciate trying to help, however as a word of advice, if it seems like you are getting nowhere fast you are probably better off reporting both of the posts and letting us handle it from there.

John wrote:

Jill you got to learn to shut the fuck up because nobody cares that you hate John.

This is not a direct personal attack so this is not going on your record, but you were pretty close to the line there. I am giving you a caution, just be careful in the future. Being as you are getting understandably frustrated with both of them it can be easy to accidentally fly off the handle even if you mean well, so just remember in the future that sometimes the best thing to do is to report the posts and call it a day. There is no shame in not having the last word.
Hopefully that takes care of the situation. I am going to leave this thread open for now, but if we see any more drama we may have to close the topic **off the record: I would consult with the mod panel on Discord before going through with that, or if push came to shove, any bans needed to be engaged**.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jimmy69 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : jack via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : supremekiller via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : supremekiller via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ivan_soto via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : TheEvilChocolateCookie via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dgleks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : marko via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dgleks via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector