Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Wow... the shear idiocy that Trump displays, even in the first few minutes -- discussing voting by mail and how "absentee voting" is supposedly different from voting by mail (which it isn't, as Jonathon says, its synonymous with voting by mail) -- is just... horrifying. And very aptly displays why he's not qualified to run a country, let alone a business. (Side note: he did have six bankruptcies. Pretty telling.) Why he won the election in 2016, even with the help of the electoral college, is beyond me. I am curious though: since its 2020 and we have tech and all,why, oh why, haven't we switched to internet voting? Like I know that we have E-voting machines, but from what I know those aren't connected to the internet for "security purposes." Which I get, I really do. What I don't get is this: why can't we set up an internet sight where everyone can submit their votes, then transfer all of those votes (which could be stored in a database) onto a USB drive or other storage medium, then let the voting machine tabulate the votes? I might be overlooking security flaws with this idea, but if it were to be done, with the flaws taken care of (as best we can) I can see it cutting down on a lot of costs for E-voting machines. So I'm curious why that hasn't been done yet. What's the barrier to making that a reality? A computer could sort and analyze through 324-330 million votes in a few minutes to an hour, tops, and it wouldn't even require much memory or any fancy algorithms.