Re: pissed off about accessibility guides

Yeah yeah it sucks, options are very limited.

Actually, I made this thread because I'm trying to propose a new model for game design which again I've been experimenting with the Max thing (I'm seriously very sorry that we dont have anything to show yet our lives have been on fire because of coronavirus). I've been talking to other disabled people, cuz like, whats interesting is that motor disabilities really change up the accessibility model and really complicate things further. Blindness is one use case, but then you have all these other use cases and they all get kinda swept away with the current way we approach it.

I mean, not necessarily you, but many people are developers here.

But I think a good way to think of my proposition, "fuck around and find out" (and yes, I did pick that cuz its edgy and will piss off these guys). Like I said, the idea is instead of programming a game as this sighted (or blind for that matter) interactive environment and make additional use cases, you instead make a system that creates objects that can be interacted with.

So basically, for example, instead of using fast travel, you can use alternative input methods to quickly move to certain points of the map, but you still have to solve the puzzles. But, instead of being forced a specific input for a solution, the puzzle can be generalized, and then you can interact with the puzzle through different models.

How this would work is these objects would "talk" to the interactive component. They send signals to this component and translate it. This is actually how your senses work! They take that information and unfold it in their own unique way. So I think this model has a lot of power, but it won't be developed by a major corporation because it requires a very flexible open sourced design; so instead I'm trying to develop it with my partner, or rather build up to it. And I'm working with other disabled people ranging from just every day people to theorists to try to really feel this problem out.

Oh, and I called them soyboys because uh. hahaha. most of you haven't had to actually... deal with a lot of the more bureaucratic guys. I mean, the indie devs are fine and I actually see really great shit and encourage them whenever I see them come along. but like. Im just saying I've had some very angry twitter DM conversations with some of these people actually running the show.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector