Re: pissed off about accessibility guides

All I have to say is that I am utterly disgusted by the OPs behavior.
@daigonite: you say that your an advocate for people with disabilities -- or you've implied it throughout the various posts that you've made. However, this topic... this topic has completely and utterly destroyed my faith and confidence in you to get things done and to help all of us out on here. In order to be an advocate for something, subtlety is required, as well as good communication skills and the ability to be eloquent. For example, if I was being hired for a job, and I required accommodations, I'm not going to assume that the company knows what I need -- because that's a risky assumption at best and a false one at worst. If I assume that they know what I need and they, in fact, don't, I'm not going to then rage at them, irrespective of how many times it happens to me. I'll rage in private, sure, but I'm no way in hell going to rage in public like you have in this topic. If you raged at a conference like you are on here -- or, hell, if someone from a game development company saw you raging like this on here -- do you know what they'd think? They'd think, "Wow, this forum has a bunch of entitled assholes, and even its advocates are a bunch of assholes -- why in hell should I go to my manager and tell them about people with disabilities for what we're making?" In other words, they'd think, "Fuck this forum and this 'blind community', I've got better things to do." Then, people like Ian have to step in and pick up the peaces, or try to. The problem is, the more devs that see this kind of attitude from this forum, the less willing they'll be to cooperate with people like Ian, and before you know it he'll just be ignored. I understand your anger, I really do... and I want laws like the ADA to be revised, and I want games to be more accessible for us without detracting from the overall gameplay experience as best as is achievable with modern technology. However, the way your going about it is [NOT] the way to do it and is more likely to completely undo everything that we've all worked for over the past 30-40 years. Trigger warnings aren't instant solvers for all disabilities; I know this because I have a minor case of epilepsy myself and don't know if anything can trigger it or not (thus far nothing has). However, trigger warnings are not just there so that companies can say "Oh, we've done our due diligence". They're there because its been shown that they do work in certain circumstances. Not all, of course, but some. If your particular circumstances are not one of those particular circumstances when they do work, then at least you've been warned about it and you know that the content in question can and will trigger you. But that is no excuse, whatsoever, for you to come in here and rage about it, and to generalize everyone's situation, and to project onto all of us and to expect something then to be done, because that raging is more likely to have a very negative consequence. You may have even turned off a game developer from adding accessibility into their next upcoming game because of this nonsense -- congratulations for making our lives a bit harder. You need to chill and come in here with a level head, and then people will listen to you. But right now, its you who has to listen, and its you who needs to ask yourself, "WTF am I doing? WTF have I done? What am I trying to accomplish? What have I achieved?" I guarantee that when you are able to ask yourself those questions with a level head you will not like what your mind comes back with.