is mate or clasic ubuntu more accessible?

Hy guys!
So, after such a long time from this forum, I want to ask a rather opinion-based question, but one many times asked of me by friends.
I herd all over the place that there are only two practical main desktop operating systems usable by the non-programmer blind people, windows and mac, and over those two, the fires of hell break loos with disputes.
but now, I want to ask a different question, what if a non-programmer blind would try something else, like linux?
I have a friend who just had enough of both windows and mac worlds, saying there must be something else, something new, a new experience, so, I suggested him try ubuntu.
just so I not forget, I intend to show him the ubuntu 20.04, if anything. It would be strange indeed, even though ubuntu isn't quite known for accessibility, for me to complicate it even more by using god knows what old version of it, like 14.04 or such, thing that still has the horible unity desktop that is, shall we say, more inaccessible than the law allows:(.
now, here comes the question:
After some digging and testing my self, I am at a crossing. I need help deciding the road ahead. Ubuntu clasic or ubuntu mate? anyone who used any, or both, of them, please post your opinions of it. I mean, are they accessible? if so, which is more so than the other? why do you think so, what makes one better than the other?
Actually, I want to dabble in linux my self, so the knowledge won't hurt me, as well.
Plus, if you guys have any book or such regarding learning how to use linux, even though only the utilities in the command line, as long as they apply to ubuntu/mate 20.04, they're all welcome to the party.
I want to expand my knowledge of computers further, so linux/ubuntu terminal basics and stuff could help as well.
Thanks to everyone who has put an effort in even reading this horendosly and insanely long walls of text!