Re: Don't eat to much because of covid19.

@Brad, no prison involved, a spoiled ballot is quite a legitimate thing.
In fairness, local Candidates actually do! do various forms of canvasing.
I once had a very pleasant chat with the local liberal democrat MP where I used to live, and the labour MP for Nottingham where my parents came from was actually my old history teacher, and when my parents were having an issue involving my sister's wheel chair and wheel chair services, they wrote to him and he did! sort things out.

the issue is more that because Britain has a first past the post voting system, your not really voting for the person, but for the party, since without ruining their career your local MP cannot go against what his/her party demands.

Also, note that with the way laws are passed in Britain, many deals are done to pass one law, in which one party will have its members vote a certain way, in return for another party having its members support the first party on a different issue.

This was one of the major issues Teresa May had, in that the conservatives had such a slim majority, she was constantly having to do deal with various other parties to get things passed, which is why the Brexit negotiations were such a disaster, and why Borris (who had far more of a majority), was able to push things through quicker.

Unfortunately, the net result of this, is that you are essentially not voting so much for a person who represents your local area in a national assembly, as you are voting for that party to which the person belongs, whose over all policy and decision makin depend heavily upon both the ethos of the  party itself, and the over all cricket match of voting compromises which that party needs to get through, not to mention of course the individual interests of party members (it's  funny how rich most MP's are from private land investment, and how slow parliament is when it comes to things like regulation of private land lords or contract lease holders).

At this point in time, while I would not be against! voting for a political party, either they would need to actually represent a cross section of my own political opinions (which seems fairly unlikely), or there would need to be a very horrible alternative which required my vote against it, but it'd have to be pretty dam horrible for me to actually sacrifice my principles in the name of a lesser evil, as I might were I living elsewhere in the world, *cough* trump! *cough*.