Re: Don't eat to much because of covid19.

@Brad, nope, you don't have to vote, but neither do you have to go to the ballot building. I have got my dad listed as a signatory for my postal vote, which is how I've submitted my votes for the last few ellections. Also, I'm not exactly sure where your granddad is coming from on this business of a fine, since nope, as the link says, there is nothing of the sort, and I've not heard there ever was one either.

In terms of America, it's not just the internet. When I was over there, it seems there are only two states for discussing politics, either profound, almost frighteningly borg like agreement, or  insult hurling disagreement.

For example they asked me if it was true that there were parts of Britain where the police were afraid to go because of radical islam. I told them that no there weren't, there are dodgy parts of cities due to crime and so on, as with most big cities in many parts of the world (america very much included), but Islam had nothing to do with this, and indeed most muslims I'd met, (including my parents very nice next door neighbours), were perfectly reasonable people, and no more or less likely to break the law than anyone else.

yet, my father in law still said "well I still think America is safer", completely disregarding what I'd previously said.,

it's something my lady gets very exasperated with her family about, while they in turn see her as having become "Europeanised", or being a "liberal," (a term they see as an insult), since she no longer believes whatever the republican party do is automatically always the best thing.

In fairness, whilst my in laws are fervently religious to a point that actively became a little uncomfortable with the public prayers etc (even for someone who was bought up an Anglican and who at one time heavily considered becoming a priest himself), they're also far from the loopy insane cardboard cutout religious wackos of popular fiction either, which is unfortunately one reason I find their total inability to even hear different opinions rather sad, not to mention slightly worrying, since on both sides of the divide they're not alone.

indeed one of my lady's favourite  phrases comes from Andrew Greely, the catholic novelist, who often spoke of the left wing cranks and the right wing crazies big_smile.