Re: Why do people still use bgt?

Yeah it's mostly just "BGT sound just works and I don't need to do anything extra to my sound files to get started." Also compiling to exe in two keystrokes / one CLI command. The only other time I got "it just works" sound was _javascript_ in IE6, which forced you to load everything at the very beginning and often broke the whole game if something went wrong oar load and good luck doing anything about it.
Thanks to a very readable example with Java sound, I was able to get a decent enough wrapper with mostly the same functionality from IE6. Then I eventually tracked down how to expand the available file formats, and to sort through the mixers for the desired features. Then I switched computers and the only available mixer to Java did not support stereo panning. So BGT or Python it was, and everything I could find in Python was either overly limited, unreliable, or too much of a headache to be worth the trouble of switching.
So yay Lucia, I guess.
I'm not sure what the under-the-hood reason is for why sound engines are so ... *points up* that. It makes more sense if you read the history backward. We went from confusing highly limited but 3D™ software solutions with perplexing licenses and loads of setup / unintuitive structures, to BGT being allowed by antiviruses, to Java having a more extensible solution, to Microsoft having a convenient set of libraries and utilities and supporting hardware solutions for all the formats and effects. It's like ... the history of NASA, or something.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bhanuponguru via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : tunmi13 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kjsisco via Audiogames-reflector