Re: Is Chicken Nugget back?

I have a lot of negative things I could say about Q and won't defend him in general, but I'm not sure why everyone gets so mad that products stopped being updated.  Every single product on the face of the earth stops being updated eventually.  If you're not allowed to stop updating stuff, then you can't make a profit unless it's a subscription service.  If his purchase page is still accepting payment, that's a problem, but not updating the thing anymore, especially since it not being able to work well is in large part Twitter's fault, I don't get it.

Everyone pays finite money around here, and expects devs to put in infinite effort.  Why should someone put in infinite effort for $20 per user or whatever it was when the userbase is so tiny that that $20 per user probably stopped rolling in a long time ago, and when the thing you're working with broke their API with the almost explicit intent of pushing third party clients out?  $20 doesn't buy you 10 years of maintenance or something, yet everyone here thinks it should.  Yes, being blind often means $20 is a lot of money, but it's time for everyone to re calibrate and realize that while $20 being a lot of money is a sucky place to be in, that doesn't give you the right to continually pull others down to your level and demand tons of work for it.

And god forbid someone launch a subscription service like Swamp for $20 a year, can't have that either.  I've got news for all of you.  Devs have the right to make money.

That said, Chicken Nugget was always buggy as hell, which was a problem, and I think he should probably have open sourced it, except that it was such a mess that no one would have been able to fix it I think.  So, I'm not defending the product, in the end.  It got to the point where it'd just freeze for 30 seconds sometimes just because for a lot of us.  But I can't even begin to describe how irritated this entitled "I bought a thing for $20, therefore it must be maintained forever or the dev is an evil person" mentality is.