GBoard update

I recently received an update for GBoard, and it has made typing experience weird.
Now, your Delete, Enter, Symbols keys require double tap, which is actually triple tap if you consider the finding that key itself firstly. I can understand the thinking behind this, may be they want to protect the typing experiance from accidental touches. But, now, your left and right swipes will take you to next key instead of the next item on the screen. Moving the cursor is also tedious as now, you have to touch the edit box first before trying to move the cursor. Touch a key on the keyboard, and your volume keys are just volume keys.
Now, in a form, you will have to constantly hunt for the edit box on the screen, and if it's a long form, then it's going to be very very difficult since left and right swipes aren't taking you to next item in that page. Also, there's simply no choice to change the touch behaviour of the enter and delete and those kind of keys, which I think is not good.
I know that you can always go for a 3rd party keyboard, but since Google has adopted this, I feer of other devs following it. Though some people might like this change, and may be I am just being resistive to change, but I don't like where this is going.
This has happened to me on a device running Android 10, not sure about other devices.