running youtube-dl in the background without a window

Hi. I have playd arround with youtube-dl and python modules to search youtube and have build a little client. I only have one small but pritty anoying problem. Every time the client interacts with youtube-dl, youtube-dl opens it's command line window, taking focus away from the client. Someetimes it even bugs out so hart that the focus doesn't go back as expected. Is there a way to run youtube-dl in the background so it doesn't take focus away?