Re: Cloud Storage

Dropbox and SkyDrive are consumer services for storing stuff. As I understand it, Dropbox is actually backed by S3 for storage. And indeed, Dropbox's costs are unreasonable.

S3 is for storage. CloudFront is for content delivery (front-end caches, basically). Glacier has to be tape--how else can they get the fees so low? You can use Glacier via S3, and you can host a website via S3 and optionally via CloudFront, and it's very cheap, but you will find it to be a bit less convenient than using FTP to upload to a server, because you have to use either a web console or developer APIs, usually via the command line. But it is very cheap, and very cool.

I use S3+Glacier via a Mac tool called Arq, for encrypted backups. I also use S3+CloudFront, for delivering files that stay up for long periods, including links I post to this forum, via the official command-line "aws" tool provided by Amazon.