Re: New Maschine leaked, Maschine +, standalone

What NI did is valuable in the sense that it's useful to blind musicians, and in terms of stuff I'd buy/use myself I'd get them for that reason (and indeed I have one).

But as a programmer: we waited a year for MK II to work on Windows, or something ridiculously long like that, I forget exactly.  The entire thing they did was maybe 5 days for 1 dev.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out someone did it as a weekend project and they ran with it.  Putting TTS in how they did is a hack for a company who wants accessibility with the bare minimum of effort.  If they were doing actually complicated things like screen reader support for all the stuff we actually still can't use, I'd start using words like embracing, but at the moment they're doing the equivalent of that kid in school who gets Cs on everything by barely trying, except that in this case the school is a bunch of students who get Fs instead so they look like geniuses.

Every time we start praising someone for barely trying and saying they're embracing accessibility I get sad, because doing that kind of thing is how we've had the slow but steady decrease in quality of every first party accessibility offering out there.  And every time we do it we set the precedent that whoever is the most recent person to not try but get our praise is the standard that everyone needs to meet as well.  SO just, stop.  Let's not keep dragging things down to the lowest common denominator.

I understand that NI is life-changing.  But in reality I doubt they care much about us, and I wouldn't be surprised if the stance on this is that it's that annoying thing they do for us because if they dropped it it would be a shitshow like Netflix and Daredevil but worse, because now they *actively* screwed the blind people over.  The corporate reality is that philanthropy almost never happens over long periods of time and blind people are worth $0 total--things like Microsoft and Mac and etc. are about 508 and other laws, not "I care about the blind people".

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : zenothrax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ManFromTheDark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ManFromTheDark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector