Re: Linux Update Went Wrong, Why?

@4, yep, updates can break things. It happened on a server I'm running right now, actually. We updated to 20.04 from 18.04 and it broke a lot and we had to go and fix it all. Lol So yes, a lot can break Linux. A small tip: don't trust df -h alone; install ncdu and run sudo ncdu /. Wait for it to scan your disk and then you can see what's largest and delete that which you don't need. (As always, don't delete anything under /var, /usr, &c. without knowing what your doing.)As for the other issues:
1. Most package managers don't check disk space before doing the upgrade; they check after downloading all the update files. Some don't even check it at all (I've no idea why). I think apt does check, though. Or, dpkg does.
2. I've no idea. I don't know how accurate that banner is (and, side note, you should probably change that for security reasons). Again, df -h and ncdu are your friends.
3. Yes, there is. Try running dpkg-reconfigure -a (note, this reconfigures [all] packages on the system, though it does also fix any problems encountered during updates). This doesn't mean the kernel will boot, of course, but it should resolve most problems.
4. Yes, you can uninstall the newest kernel by getting its version (ls /boot | sort and looking for the highest version). Alternatively, run dpkg --list | grep linux-image and look for the latest (use uname -r to figure out your current one so you don't accidentally remove that one).