History of screen readers and speech synthesizers

Hi there.

I wanted to know, is there a definitive article detailing the history of screen reading software, hardware, and speech synthesis?  I've become very curious to know what it is we had before NVDA and JAWS.

Could anyone point me towards a resource? I just want to read it for my own knowledge. I've been curious for years. I've attempted to look up some stuff, and I found this project some college person did, but that was not well researched and made quite a few assumptions on the viability of screen reading tech. The Wikkipedia article I found doesn't do much better, needing all these sorts of citations and stuff for their claims.

So, I'd like to know, is there a book?

Thanks so much.