How can I get input using SDL without this strange edit box popping up

Sometimes when I call SDL_StartTextInput and SDL_StopTextInput, some kind of edit field seems to pop up every time I press escape. I checked the documentation and it mentions that this can turn on the on-screen-keyboard and I assume it's related to that. Since this can prevent me from using the arrow keys, is there a way to turn that off?
Or should I do my own input handling?
My worry with the latter is that there doesn't seem to be a way to detect if the caps lock key is on, so I'd have to assume it was off and , toggle an internal state when you press it. There are probably other corner cases with this approach as well.
Any ideas?