Twisted an UI's?

So, I've been learning about Twisted, and a lot of it makes sense to me. For the most part, I understand the basics. (the various pieces and how they work together) I'm having a hard time figuring out how I would cleanly integrate the code for a client, for example, with a user interface. A lot of what I've read emphasizes that it's best to keep any twisted related logic separate from UI related code. So if I was writing a client for a chat server, a simple protocol class would handle what happens upon rceiving messages from the server. The way I understandn it, I wouldn't place the code for playing an incoming message sound in the protocol class alongside the code that parses/handles the incoming data. That being the case, how do I cleanly notify the application that a message has been received, and perform all of the UI tasks associated with that?