Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

Hearing the pure anarchy of the debate, Trump's general idiocy and Biden's less than stellar response to it, my lady today said:

"Things fall apart",

I replied of course with:
"the centre cannot hold."

And it's actually quite scary just how correct William Butler Yeats' words are for the current time, then again, they were also written during a massive epidemic, at a point when a government was intent tried to fix an issue of racial hatred and just ended up empowering a bunch of total thugs and exasserbating the hole matter, which lead to decades of hatred and terrorism whose legacy persist to this day, that government being Britain, that country being Northern ireland (and we all know how well things went there).

So, my only word on the election will be those of Mr. Yeats: You can Hear a dramatic presentation here, or I'll just copy the following textt:

The Second Coming
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?