Re: Console debugging under Windows

When you installed debugging tools for windows, you also got a debugger called cdb with it, or should have.  It's the command line equivalent of WinDBG.  Docs here.  You really want VSCode working if you can manage it because this thing is, let's go with decidedly unergonomic, but it works.  Unfortunately it's been too long for me to remember commands, but I think the command for a backtrace is either k or kc.  There's also a chm that'll open with .help if I recall, that'll give you all the commands and such, without having to dig around in Microsoft Docs.

I think that if you grab launch.json from Synthizer and install the C/C++ extension, you can point it at whatever you need and it will work, irregardless of whether or not the files are C++.  VSCode doesn't care about the files, mostly.

your next frustration is likely to be that symbols on Windows aren't contained in the executable but instead in the .pdb produced when you build it.  I just use VSCode's debugger so I don't remember precisely how to load them into other things.  Sometimes it just works, sometimes you have to be explicit about "here is the symbol file".  But you know it's a problem because you get meaningless backtraces if it's not loaded right.