Re: What type of music do you listen to?

Well, I have a somewhat diverse taste in music. When I was a child, I mostly listened to pop, poprock and rock, and a lot of that has stuck with me to this day. Then, when I reached the early teen years, my focus shifted mor and more towards rock and softer metal, I spend some time listening to pretty much nothing but Evanescence.
My style really didn't change much for a couple of years, although, I did start to listen to other things as well as Evanescence again. Then, one day, everything pretty much changed. I had had a Nightwish song on my playlist for a while, Amaranth I think, and I checked out the album. The first song I heard, was the incredible song "The Poet And The Pendulum". At first, I didn't really like it but something must have stuck with me. One day, a couple of months later, I remembered that I listened to a crazy Nightwish song, and decided to listen to it again. I accidentally clicked a live version of it with their newest singer Floor Jansen, and I felt something I have never felt before when listening to music. I basically consumed Nightwishes entire catalogue, both the operatic Tarja Turunen era, the Annette Olzon era, with it's more rock-like vocals and huge orchestrations, and my favorite, the Floor Jansen era, which has pretty much everything.
Well since then, I have listened to a lot of symphonic metal, Nightwish remains my favorite, but Within Temptation, Epica, Kamelot and Beyond the Black I enjoy a lot as well.
I recently stumbled upon an artist named Arjen A. Lukassen. He creates some of the most fascinating music I have ever heard. He has a project called Ayreon. It is like a combination between different shades of progressive metal, but he uses music for storytelling. He gathers some of the biggest names in the symphonic and progressive metal scene, and gives them different roles in his stories. He has mostly done sci-fi and fantasy stories, but he has just released Transitus, a 19th century gothic romance story with supernatural elements. Although his music takes some time to get into, the experience is worth it in my opinion.
Well, I have rambled on enough I think, I will leave some links for you to check out if you have time:
Nightwish - The Poet and the Pendulum (This takes 14 minutes, so don't listen if you are in a hurry. It is pretty dark, but verry, verry beautiful as well)
https://youtu.be/N4Vfy5yCy-c
Nightwish - How's the heart (a lot shorter and more folky, a lot easier to get into)
https://youtu.be/F8vuyd9M2LU
And finaly, Ayreon - Talk of the Town (from Transitus, slowish buildup, but rather catchy ... and yes, that is, the, Tom Baker)
https://youtu.be/miotXaqJ-Cs)

And yes, I said finaly, but who cares, Ayreon - The Day that the World Breaks Down (According to Arjen himself, his greatest creation. Much more heavy, but it has some beautiful parts, very diverse)
https://youtu.be/oFuMKdrzPqU

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Darin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ManFromTheDark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mads via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : fonografico2 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bucklee12 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Blue-Eyed Demon via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector