Re: Lucia - OpenSource AudioGame engine written in Python

From where I'm standing, there is most certainly room for two even in a community of this size without overlap.

Each project has it's own reason to exist, and we should have the ability to choose what we would like to use based on what it is we're wanting to make.
Lucia was made to provide a simpler transition away from BGT, necessary for many just starting out with the language and wishing to spin something up quickly or possibly port old code. We've seen an influx of new Python devs for this reason. There have even been a couple successful game releases because of it. I estimate Earwax will usher in more of the same.

Earwax is, as Chris said, far more Pythonic. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for absolute beginners, especially those in the process of transitioning. Decorators and OOP aren't the easiest concepts to explain from day one. Lucia has multiple maintainers right now and is basically stable if you are willing and able to work around some existing issues. Earwax doesn't at the moment. Lucia works, but given the chance (v2.0) there is a whole hell of a lot that could be overhauled to make it more user friendly NTM efficient. Reinventing the wheel isn't always bad. Lucia itself did this to AGK which, though managed badly and a complete shitshow, was the first popular one of it's kind to receive traction barring private/closed source/highly limited alternatives. both will die eventually, replaced by superior choices. I've written more engines than I'd like to admit over the years, most being little more than glued together helpers and abstracted tedium. I'll definitely be making others as I continue learning and standards evolve. At the moment I have more hypothetical ideas than time and it's been too long since life has let me sit down and hack on a game, but hopefully when things settle down I'll be able to actively contribute to hobby projects again.

All that being said, I actually like having both. They provides for a competitive environment. they allow us to consider alternative ways of implementing things. They are two separate outlets for creativity that appeal to developers accustomed to alternative design patterns.

It has been my hope for years that we as a community embrace open source, great seeing that finally beginning to take shape.