Re: Sound Libraries

I'm using Portaudio for the moment.  It doesn't matter what I use, though: the audio output is completely separate from the mixer and, in fact, you could write your own if you were so inclined.  The audio output code lives in a corner by itself.  I will need to talk to it directly in future, but Portaudio works well enough for testing.  There are unfortunately some latency issues I've not yet tried to fix, so I may have to drop it.
But tbh, that code is the simplest code in the entire thing.  Libaudioverse is somewhere around 2500 lines at this point, and the portaudio code is somewhere around 85 of them.  Ripping it out and replacing it with the stereotypical multi-backend decider that a lot of people use (that is it looks at what's available and automatically picks the "best" library for your platform) is going to be the the work of a day, and it can fall back to Portaudio until I write better backends.  All t hese do is provide a way to send samples to the sound card so it doesn't matter what you pick-there's no particular advantage in terms of DSP, only in lower latency.
Also, I think our definitions of easy are different.  Most audio APIs that provide for only sample output are easy: learning to use one and integrating it with something else takes something like 2 or 3 hours tops for me, especially since the mixer does not "know" about the audio API.  I consider nothing about them difficult.  There are much harder programming problems for Libaudioverse; actually writing audio backends isn't one of them.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : SLJ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : SLJ via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Development room : Aminiel via Audiogames-reflector