Installing Windows 8.1

I remember there being a topic on this, but I couldn't find it in the first 8 pages or with the search feature, and I'm running on an old laptop battery at the moment, so new topic it is:

I was playing Bokurano Daibouken 3, and therefore hitting the spacebar quite often, when Windows decided it was a good time to ask me if I wanted to update to 8.1. Being a meany, whoever designed that prompt set it up so that you default on the "install and update without asking for confirmation" button.
So my computer restarted and is no longer talking to me and I have no idea what to do.
Does anyone know what to do? Like, does a prompt of some sort come up? Is it taking me to the windows logon screen and NVDA is simply not talking? Do I have to do anything fancy? Am I completely screwed without sighted help (in which case I have some choice words for Microsoft, since I never actually agreed to this)? Something else entirely? Is there an available resource tha t will tell me what to do?

Much thanks to anyone who can help!