Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

@camlorn
Here's the thing. People cast their ballot because they (hopefully) believe their actions are improving the status quo. Many cast their ballot in favor of a candidate because they agree and sympathize with at minimum a couple issues said party represents. It's ordinarily not quite as black and white as you're making it out to be. If it were, there would be more than two real/obvious options.
Some, myself included, actually think it's come down to finding the lesser of two evils, a far cry from the most superlative a world leader like America has to offer. Dismal state of things but that's politics for ya.

For what it's worth I'm with you. Especially where it pertains to the ADA and ACA. The former most if not all of us rely on, the latter I will in the future assuming it isn't struck down. Neither are flawless but they thankfully exist and my life would be a bitch without at least the ADA assuming they weren't able to come up with something better.
That logic extends to anyone and everyone. Given the dubious nature of fate, Trump himself could take an unexpected reverse trip down a flight of stairs tomorrow and never be the same again. Given the dubious nature of fate, there is unfortunately no telling who could end up in an accident and go from opposing the ADA with little more than a fragile idea of how it could be made better to requiring it to merely function as an equal. A popular mantra floating around advocacy groups. Same applies to gay and insert other rights here. That being said I'd actually be willing to bet a fair number of voters don't know what the ADA does, much less why it is necessary, much less that it was under attack by the GOP for a short time. If you recall, there was a considerably small amount of coverage outside disability circles.

Some perspective. Right now I reside in middle of nowhere Missouri, which just so happens to be one of the most second amendment friendly places in the nation. While we've seen more polarization in the last decade, as far as I know there's still a pro-Trump republican majority. I was raised in your stereotypical friendly small blue-collar outskirt town. People generally have the best of intentions, and beyond the shadow of a doubt want to do good. By do good I mean there's a traditional hard-working culture that says you always, always reach a hand out to those in need. No matter the circumstances. Failing to do so is contemptible to the extreme. I have obviously learned to see the inherent flaws in this type of system, mainly the occasional intolerance toward progressivism. For the most part though? People are good and willing to listen. People want to see change, even in that environment.

It has been shown again and again that gun control, more specifically the right to buy and own assault weapons, is one of those issues that make or break votes, ditto increased military spending. Do I have to agree with it? Of course not. But by that same token, Correlation obviously does not imply causation. It would be ludicrous to assume those who vote republican do so out of a desire to see a degraded quality of life for minority groups. When you're given two choices, often times there will be policies you tend to disagree with on both sides. IMO it's selfish and unreasonable for me to expect them to shed their party affiliation and fundamental beliefs if they wish to remain in association. Because at the end of the day, we as people have varying priorities. In an ideal world there would be no threat to laws that support the equality of anyone on the basis of disability, religion... To take a leaf out of Biden's book, "you know the thing." Obviously it isn't a perfect world though, and we've gotta chip away at one thing at a time. Unity is important.