Re: anyone using Node for back end web development?

It's really what you intend to do with it that matters here, I think.
Node's real thing is the asynchronous, non-blocking model that allows for a huge amount of concurrent connections essentially by default. I'd argue Elixir does this in a far better way, but then, that is also a far more non-standard language smile
As for Ruby vs Python ...if you want to be explicit and have the framework do what you tell it to rather than what it thinks you told it, go Python Django. If you'd like magic based on (sometimes obscure) configuration conventions, go Ruby on Rails.
Both can be gotten used to, but I honestly do have to caution that Rails apps, while they are great for rapidfire prototyping, are a major pain to debug at times because of the implicit way it does things for you. If you're not 100% proficient in Rails, super simple debugging can take WAY longer than it needs to.
As for the project you mentioned, legal terminology database ...I mean technically all of these could work. Node seems overkill for this, but if you add ExpressJS and MongoDB to it I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I also don't really see any particular advantage of doing this over more established and wider supported paradigms like PHP/Ruby though.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Diegogaribay via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Diegogaribay via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Zersiax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector