Re: Kafka on the shor byHaruki Murakami

Hi,

Although I haven’t read this specific book,  I knew a girl who swore this guy was the best author she’d ever read. Based on that I tried a couple of his books, I’ve read ‘Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world’ and also a Wild sheep chase’. Both books were definitely strange,, ironically of the two I probably enjoyed Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world, whilst others  often say the Wild sheep chase is one of his best books, but it just didn’t quite do it  for me. I think the other reason I enjoyed the other book more is its more of a fantasy /sci-fi type book, but again it was definitely a very strange book. There were some really interesting concepts in there and you could see from the writing he is a talented guy, but I understand its  also not the usual type of book he  writes , which might be why it was so odd. I definitely wouldn’t put it up there as a favourite book of mine, but I did enjoy it still, in fact I think it was the strangeness  and mystery of the whole thing I enjoyed , the book follows two main characters/narrators of the story, one set in a more conventional Tokyo setting, whilst the other is set in a very strange fantasy styled world, it’s a really weird  flip as a reader throughout the book going from one story in the more mundane standard world to the other story in the other fantasy type world. Anyway, would be really interested to hear what you think of Kafka on the shores  once you’ve read it, as if you think it’s really good I might give it a try.

Paul Lemm