Re: The wheel of time and other fantasy books

@Firefly, that is a fair point about Eddings and invincibility, and is a major stumbling block in Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the sorceress.

When I reread the Belgariad, the fact that most is told from Garion's perspective, and Garion is intrinsically inexperienced and doesn't really know what is happening, often created tension even in situations where there wasn't, for example the sequence where they're all captured by the evil Nobleman, and of course Silk picks the locks in seconds, but we're still treated to a brief sequence of Garion sitting around in his cell wondering if they're about to be sacrificed.

Plus of course with Eddings, the Banter and interplay between the characters was always fun.

with Brooks, or at least in those Brooks novels I read, even when we lost characters, I just didn't feel connected enough to those characters for it to really have emotional impact, because most of the characters I saw were simply their description or profession, EG beautiful princess or sorceress, awesome ranger, dwarven fightre, powerful mage  etc, so I never really got attached to them.

With the WoT series being mainly focused on Moirane I'm not sure, since on the one hand I could see that as a good way to introduce the white tower and a lot of the politics early, on the other, I do remember loving Eye of the world simply for the journey aspects and the fact we got to learn more about the world and it's history slowly over time, then again I freely admit, I have a thing about journey stories anyway.

we'll see I suppose.

Btw, amusingly Enough, my lady is very urked with the fact that the actress playing Moirane in the series is apparently five foot nine! Being, under five feet herself, my lady always likes seeing awesome tiny women in fiction, and is quite annoyed that the series is displaying this level of hightism :D.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector