Re: Book recommendations urgently needed

At risk of repeating myself, I write book reviews over on fantasybookreview.co.uk, which you can find here.

I personally haven't been a fan of fan fiction, or even licensed works set in preexisting universes, even for things I'm a major fan of in Rl like Doctor who.. This is sort of ironic, given that I once tried to fan novelise the playstation Rpg xenogears myself, however, I've tended to find that fanfics, and to a lesser extent canonical licensed books in starwars, startrek etc, spend most of their time either trying to repeat the main works of the series, send series characters off into directions the author wants, or have the author's own characters there just to out do established ones, being more powerful, more evil, more handsome or beautiful etc.

Personally, I just like a good story like Harry potter which starts and stops, and even for something like Doctor who I'd much rather just something that puts the doctor and companions in an interesting situation, EG in a culture or time they haven't visited or encountering new aliens, than in suddenly fighting the greatest threat to the universe ever, or a species that are eviller than the daleks, or suddenly finding that historical figure of the day wants to make the doctor's companion his queen or whatever big_smile.

So all of this is to say, for myself I've read far more new and established book series, than fanfics, or even licensed books, and am happier to have done so.

As to what to recommend, well it's difficult to say since you have given a very broad criteria.

Off the top of my head, George R R Martin, Tad williams, Robin Hobb, Patric rothfus or Brandon Sanderson for High fantasy although Williams and Sanderson have written stuff in very different genres too.

Tad williams again for cyberpunk near future sf, Niel Gaimon for modern fantasy and twisted fairy tales, Julian May, Lowis MCMaster Boujald for space opera, Stephen King for Horror and more cross over fantasy, China Nieville for steampunk and stuff that is very grim and Justin Cronin or Anna Smail for post appocalyptic.

There are probably a bunch more that I could suggest, but that is what occurs to me at the moment.