The last of us to help please

Hello everyone, I was looking for some help with the last of us part two. I was wondering how you can aim your gun especially when there are several infected around you. I always get killed because I’m not shooting out anything. The only reason I know this is my son is cited and he has help me with these battles. Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated. The last battle I was in, there were four or five of the infected which spread gas and when you kill it it lets out a gas which also kills you so I was told I needed to run away to another room which I can’t find in there’s so much going on at the same time I don’t know where one nor how to get to the rest of the infected or shoot them. I get any help would be greatly appreciate it