Re: Question Regarding Linux

the short answer? really depends on the type of IT course and distro they're recommending you use (if any). I highly recommend figuring this out as your first step, then we can talk about the state of accessibility and whether you need to complain.

Most introductory Linux classes target an audience more comfortable with a UI, and try applying this knowledge to ease your transition. You could get by on just SSH, but you'd be missing out on an entire layer of the OS.
In most instances this doesn't really matter, my servers run Linux and I can't ever remember a time I was forced to play games with a desktop.

If a UI is required, grab VMware Workstation Player and your chosen distro (both free). Create a new machine, select your ISO image, boot in and activate a screen reader to complete the setup process. Instructions on doing this are distro dependent.

If you don't need the UI, look into Vagrant. Give it ten minutes, disable GUI and you'll have spun up a box that can easily be destroyed if you mess up.

Suggestions? Ubuntu with the Mate desktop would be my preference.
Don't bother with Vinux, or anything else targeted at blind users. They are often alarmingly out-of-date and not really all that useful when many others come with a screen reader and accessible environment out of the box anyway.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Accman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TJ . Breitenfeldt via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : zkline via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TJ . Breitenfeldt via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : swigjr23 via Audiogames-reflector