Re: Calling all rockbox nerds

I still have my old 40 gb braille+
That was probably one of the most durable assistive tech products I have ever used. I had a friend drop his off the second story of a building, and the metal cover came off of mine because I wore it on me all the time when walking to classes, and it rains a lot here. Both still worked. It was the bulkiest mp3 device I ever used and it went through it's battery really fast though.
Later I had a samsung gs2 phone with an app called rocklock that turned your lock screen in to an mp3 player that you can control without needing the screen reader to talk. You could flick left or right to change songs, and drawing a circle had it fast forward or rewind, and flicking up told you the title. I wish that app still worked on today's droids, but i think you can't completely take over the lock screen like that anymore. It was so much fun showing all my fancy rich friends with iphones who had to feel around and listen to the different on-screen controls, while I could just control my phone as if it still had physical buttons. Apps that modify the volume buttons are the closest thing I can find nowadays for this.
You could always get an lg phone as they are supposed to have dacs almost as good as some music players that are much better than most phones, then it will talk and play streaming services as well. I just use a cheep android I got in China for a media consumption device, as i never expect to spend enough money on headphones to notice the difference in dac quality.