Re: dealing with procrastination

camlorn wrote:

Alternatively it's that modern high schools in many countries are effectively combination prisons/day cares, where we send you for over 8 hours a day so that your parents can work, then send you home with homework to "prepare" you for the future (because, if we don't send you home with homework, god forbid, we're failing you because that other school over there sure did).

I'm supposed to be the responsible adult and say that high school matters and bla bla bla, but actually it doesn't, and mostly you just get crushed down and forced to conform whether you want to conform or not--wear what we tell you to wear, do what we tell you to do, deviate slightly and we punish you disproportionately.

There might be other issues going on, but if someone tells me they're a Junior in high school and they don't see their homework as having any point my response is mostly congrats for seeing through the system and also college actually gives *less* homework so don't buy into the "we're overworking you to get you ready for college" crap either.

There's probably underlying issues too, but I was a massive procrastinator in high school for exactly these reasons, and it fixed itself some as soon as I started doing college because college treats you like a person with desires, and that changes a lot of the dynamic.

Maybe you're at some prestigious school or something, or in a country where high schools are heaven on earth, I dunno, but if you're not, then this is that part of your life where you grin and bear it until you become one of the adults that forces the next generation to grin and bear it.  Get anything useful out of high school that you can for whatever you want to do.  Often, they're going to accommodate blindness more than a college will for example, so grab some well-chosen honors classes that you wouldn't mind taking if you can.  And of course you need the grades.  But that "this is pointless and not preparing me for the future" feeling is honestly pretty accurate.

In general this isn't about learning to want to write those essays, it's about learning to power through until people aren't forcing you to write essays you don't want to write for no reason, basically.  Which is in itself a valuable life skill, but no one at the school is ever going to admit that that's what this is.  Some people can enjoy those sorts of assignments.  Nothing is wrong with you for hating them.

Don't close your eyes to the possibility of other issues and you do have to learn to deal with it in some way because you're right that you will otherwise fail and then have problems going beyond high school.  But I really do think this experience is more universal than you feel like it is, and if I had my way then we'd get other adults understanding that it's more valuable to admit this rather than to continue the stupid pep rally-style "this is an opportunity and life only gets worse from here!" take on it.  I can promise you that I've never gone "man, I wish I was still in high school", not once.  College, yeah, but *never* high school.

fucking fums up

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : wing of eternity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : amir tajik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kjsisco via Audiogames-reflector