Re: enough is enough, and it's time for a change.

hello, everyone
First, I'll apologize for just now jumping in.

Second, while it pains me to do so for reasons I'll get to, I am on board with most of the beliefs unanimously expressed by all who spoke up in the many team conversations we had, seeing as names have begun to get thrown around. There wasn't a single one of us five who took the opportunity to say "look guys, you're taking this out of proportion", "look guys, this has gone far enough", "look guys, the status quo is acceptable". If I had to guess I'd say it's because the majority of us are content creators as much as gamers. We have all expressed some level of concern into the execution the bulk of which is just now being established.
For the record, I have never condoned stolen sounds. If someone cared to be a redditer and dig back in my post history, they'd find me campaigning to get sounds changed or games removed. They'd also find a pretty significant effort to figure out beyond the shadow of a doubt what all had been stolen - it's easy to say oh hey same sound just to be listening to a product of SI 6K. This was long before I had been an admin, before I harbored the slightest interest in becoming an admin, and before I wondered whether throwing my hat in the ring had been one of my better ideas.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who is trying to help us work this out. As Jayde has said, as I will say... Giving a damn about the Nintendos' of the bunch and their assets on sympathetic grounds is about as far away as one could get from our motives. Up to this point, I didn't want to touch the metaphorical elephant in the room. I knew it would be a far cry from reasonable. there would be more edge cases than what we saw during the piracy crackdowns.

I actually have two requests. the fulfillment of the first is entirely optional, but all in all I think we can say we're on the same page as far as not wanting this place to implode after a pretty good (fifteen year-long) run. As far as I'm concerned that's number one priority for everyone, thus we won't let it happen. OP quite obviously posted this topic without full knowledge of our stance. If a productive discussion is to be had it shouldn't follow what I can only amount to fearmongering in #1.
When I first read it I was visibly annoyed. There's enough contention as it stands without misinformation providing yet more. I'm not interested in flaming, I'm interested in having a productive conversation and see no reason why others can't do likewise.

To everyone blowing this out of proportion, we're willing to work with you. We aren't going to say oh hey I recognize this footstep from insert title of game last played in 2005 yeah ok cool bye. In most cases, it's going to be a quick matter of a significant number of assets were found originating from insert source. Assuming we haven't made a mistake, please change this if you'd like your game to be linked here - not like we don't know that many links to cracks are probably passed around through PMs on the daily. On that point, we can't and would never, under any circumstances, read your PMs. I give my word as an honest human being and everything I stand for that if I ever saw this happening, I would do everything in my power to spread it around, probably hand in my five minute notice and walk out on account of shear disgust. What goes on privately goes on privately and is none of our concern or responsibility.
I have no problem with discussion of Vast Horizon, Miriani, CR, AA and hell even CP so long as we aren't passing around links. In the case of the former, 99% of what we'd be seeing would have to do with text-based game mechanics. In the rare event that someone has a question about the sound pack, they can ask and get an answer. Regardless of our stance, you can login to a good number of the really popular muds these days and just type @soundpacks if you wanted to anyway. We aren't closing your topics. You'll actually see very little change. We'll only be scrubbing links and the DB entry

The only logical options that present themselves at this juncture really come down to forget about it (against the wishes of all the active mods/admins), work together to ensure integrity and leave it up to our hosts. Number one is out of the question. IMO, number two is reasonable.
If it were requested, I am prepared to make yet another attempt at getting a hold of our webmasters and impartially inviting them to weigh in. I can't promise a response, but such is the extent of my power right now. Having been a grasshopper when they were big voices here I truthfully have no idea in which direction they'll lie, thus there are no ulterior motives. By the same chance that they may tell us we're going overboard, they could also say no discussion and we'd have no choice but to comply. I hope this helps to explain things from another angle.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : nidza07 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : aaron via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Dgleks via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector