Re: Software Engineer Interviewing

Hi, adding my experience and advice to the replies, in my experience interviewing, I would agree with camlorn. The reality is that unless you are interviewing with a big tech company, or the position you are interviewing for is algorithmic heavy, you will probably rarely be asked algorithm questions. I would say, choose the area of expertees you want to work in, and learn that very well. For example, if you want to work as a web developer in Java, then learn the java stack, and learn it well. Whatever the case, make sure you know the programming language well. For example, I actually just did an interview with JPMorgan Chase todayfor a backend java position, and got asked a lot of questions about java specifically. Such as: What are some of the new features in java 8? Can you talk more about the streem API in java 8? What is polymorphism? What are lambdas, and how are they implemented in java?
Know your language of choice well.

When I walked out of university, I was under the impression that I was going to have to regurgitate quick sort on the spot in an interview, although this is just not normally the case in my experience. You should no time complexity, understand hash tables, linked lists, arrays, etc... but you may not get asked about those things nearly as much as you might think. Camlorn summerized pretty well the basics of what you should know in terms of time complexity and data structures.

Unless your plan is to get into one of the big tech companies, spend less time memorizing algorithms so that you can spit them out at a moments notice, and more time on knowing the technologies you want to work with. If your talking _javascript_, understand the event loop, asynchronous  programming, promises, async and await, etc... and the nuances of the _javascript_ library you are using weather it is React, Angular, or something else.

A resource that I just learned about recently is the Blind Institute of Technology based out of Colorado. They are a non profit organization that helps people's with vission impairments who are developers find jobs as software engineers. They have helped other individuals with other disabilities, as well as assisting individuals get jobs in other industries, although working in the software development sphere is at their core since the CEO who is also blind, is also a developer. I just started working with them recently and have found them to be a great resource. No strings are attached, you have no obligation to BIT at all. If you get hired through BIT, there might be a contract to hire, although they have also done direct placements.

I have not asked, although they would probably be able to set up a mock interview with you. There is a vetting process, so as long as you are competent in programming, and good enough getting through interviews, you should be fine.

I will not claim to have the experience to do a mock interview myself, I am really still a junior developer, although I have had more experience than perhaps many other junior developers.

I hope this helped,

Timothy Breitenfeldt

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TextAdventurer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TJ . Breitenfeldt via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TJ . Breitenfeldt via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : cartertemm via Audiogames-reflector