Re: is it worth creating a steam account

Depends. What features matter to you?

Many games that are available on Steam are also available elsewhere. Code 7, Slay the Spire, Alt-Frequencies, A Blind Legend, Sequence Storm, etc. All also available elsewhere, be it on itch.io, Humble Bundle, or both.

If you buy those games there instead, a bigger cut of your money will go towards the developers. You will get a DRM-free version. You won't need an account or an internet connection. You'll be able to make as many copies as you want.

The games might be slightly more expensive, since with Steam you can wait for one of the regular discounts, once every season. You will not get a convenient library and auto-updater (well, depends; I know at least itch.io does have a desktop program, but I have not tested its accessibility). And, more importantly, since many games use the Steam UI for the achievements, you will not be able to challenge yourself with getting them all.

And, of course, I'm sure there are also games which are only available on Steam. At least some of the fighting games, perhaps?

So is it worth it? I don't know. I am a huge fan of achievements, so for me, it definitely is.

Humble Bundle sometimes offers the purchase of both a DRM-free version and a Steam key. Redeeming that Steam key does require some skill with the screen reader (either JAWS cursor for JAWS or the ObjPad add-on or OCR on NVDA), but it definitely can be done. Several people I've talked to have had trouble with that platform, with games not showing up in their library, but I'm sure it's fine in general. So, perhaps you can try checking if the games you want are on there?

In the end, the games are mostly going to be the same wherever you buy them. The choice is yours.