Re: A bit of a bind resolved

@nocturnus
Many local charities offer free Christmas hampers, where you give them an idea of what you want and they try to get it for you.  You will almost certainly not end up with exactly what you asked for but it's usually close, and good kids don't really care beyond the initial confusion anyway especially if you can spin it positively.  The joy of opening a gift from someone who cares will still be there and IMO that's what matters.
I mean a nice new quilt or coat, or a cool toy that isn't exactly what they asked for is something they are going to be thankful for even if in their own way again and again.  And this is coming from someone who has gotten them 3 or 4 times over the years.
You will need to get on this ASAP though because they have limited supplies and deadlines for registration.

Also, even if they can't do it for what ever reason, I'm sure your church would be happy to help you out.  Though I am not religious, the community aspect of the church is one of the things I've always admired and appreciated, and I would be extremely surprised if they couldn't help you out.
Keep in mind as well that food pantries will often offer a special Christmas box for the Holidays, so you can have a nice dinner and even some candy for the kids if you'd like.  Christmas is the time of giving and organizations like this gear up for months before in preparation for this.

Thanks to our social conditioning (the sin of pride), it can feel bad to make use of these programs, but realistically if they help you get back on your feet now, and a few years down the road you can make donations to them in return, all you are really doing is taking out a freely given loan of compassion, something which is perfectly in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ, who I respect as a person and appreciate as a continuing positive force within society regardless of my personal beliefs.