Re: questions for blind people who live in Germany

@mechaSkyGuardian:

Two things here:
Don't take any advice from people on this forum or actually any forum out there for that matter. People are dumb and you don't want to build an opinion on that. Look for actual official information about this. There are specialized organizations who inform you about college abroad.

And second... Germany is a first world country with quite a few anti discrimination laws baked into the states constitution. Also due to the work that mostly war blind have done after WW2 especially the blind and visually impaired have a strong lobby here as well. So I believe for being blind Germany is actually one of the better countries out there. The law at least treats us pretty well.
On the social side it depends where you live. I think if you come from USA you will find that people are less forthcoming in general. The few experiences I had in America were that people seemed to approach me much more readily than in Germany. That might be a problem for you but it also might not be a blind thing.
The college system ... well ... works. Not a sliver as expensive as in USA and with the Bachelor/Master system you don't really have huge international differences in education level at that point. Probably 80% or more of the college students in Germany will at least speak enough English to have a normal conversation with you. German though is a fucking hard language to learn and hard to practice because most people here would rather like to speak English with you instead tongue
There are mainly two universities in Germany who are specialized on working with blind people. The one in Karlsruhe and the one in Marburg. They are usually the ones people get recommended because both have a strong and well established institution run by and for the rights of people with disabilities. Not totally sure how well other universities cope with disabilities but I don't think it would be an insurmountable problem for them.
And jobs... Well, you can get a job as a blind person in Germany. There are also a couple laws in place to even out the odds a little. Companies get extra state founds if they employ people with disabilities. Still, it is harder than for normal people. Probably not nearly as hard as in other countries though. I'm only guessing here though.