The annoying gameplay repetitiveness in audio games!

Hi all,
Some while ago I was talking with one of my friends about the repetitiveness of the gameplay in many of our games. And Although the examples that I'll be giving out are for games that are considered advanced and successful, and I have no doubt about that myself as a player who enjoyed (and keeps enjoying) them a lot, but they contain a lot of repetitiveness as you progress through playing in them. Is this common only here or is it also common within mainstream games? What's the reason for the existence of such a repetitiveness? Is it the laziness of those developers to fill in those gaps that they created to extend the gameplay length? This conversation started when I was complaining about a repetitiveness of a game I bought recently (Dreamy Train), despite the hours I spend trying to accomplish various missions and finish off the provided courses, gameplay is still repetitive. Elementary courses: 110-150 kph speed trains, you departure, do some controls and driving management then stop at arrival destination. Intermediate courses: 110-150 kph speed trains, you departure, do some controls and driving management then stop at arrival destination. High courses where I'm currently at: still even 100-150 kph speed trains, you departure, do some controls and driving management then stop at arrival destination. So what then? Very few 2 or 3 new items, the availability of those mentioned trains and courses on free run. I was expecting to unlock new trains that do have more speeds (over 150 or 200 and so on), more surprising functions and features for those unlocked trains as a more advanced train driver, even more challenges which makes courses truly higher and more advanced than each other, yet the only thing I found different in trains is their sounds. Unless if I'll actually be unlocking new exciting stuff as I advance even more than that, which also won't get the point off of my criticism, because that didn't prevent the game from being boring and repetitive at start which spells out an unsatisfying gameplay experience. So what do you think is the reason?
Another examples of games that are great in gameplay and general concept but have some repetitiveness are: A Western Drama,: combat and chasing and whatnot are utterly the same from start to end, what differ is the scenario. Entombed: you do the same thing from floor 1 to 25, and without the tavern's few quests and the very few special floors and bosses, there literally won't be some spike to your gameplay excitement. BK3: oh god, I won't be able to describe how bloody annoying are stage 15 and 16, and the repetitive Sky Racer missions.
To conclude my rants, I'd just like to know, what's the purpose behind this? Wouldn't this lead the player to feeling bored and annoyed and in worst cases, to quit playing said game entirely while there would have been coming surprises the player likes?