Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

@Jayde
Because progress in one direction while allowing other things to rot is just building on pillars of sand, and no one has the exact same concept of what progress should mean.
Many people in the left now expect too much, too fast, and they allow their emotions to get the better of them.
I will often see pushes for grand, sweeping reforms, but when the unpleasant business of actually dealing with the negative affects of that rapid progress come up, often far less attention is paid to planning for it.
We say "down with the oil companies"!  But we often can't give more than vague uneducated platitudes when it comes to issues like how we'll pay for all the things that oil drilling rites often do in a community (education, sports, new roads), or how we'll replace those jobs fast enough when their is a lack of trained workers for green tech, or how we'll pay for the vast infrastructure overhaul necessary for variable power generation when we've just gotten rid of a huge economic resource, or how we'll replace plastics fast enough when so much relies on them, or how we'll deal with the problem of infrasonic sound from windmills and sun glare from solar panel installations that can harm animals...
People are scared, we're talking about their  livelihoods and kid's futures here.  We can't afford to not find reasons they could agree with when now is comfortable if not perfect, while the future is uncertain and getting scarier every day.  These people need stability, not vague promises and (to them) radical ideas.

Liberals can be short sided and self absorbed, often because they tend to be younger, urban, and have less life experience to consider.  Wile pushes like minimum wage and basic income are great, there seems to be a basic lack of respect for blue collar workers in the left and the simple, hard working people who act as a backbone for actually getting things done.  The older people at the top might not present this attitude (since they are older) but it's not hard to see when you look beyond the surface.
There is an arrogant sense of looking down on one's elders because of there mistakes, while not considering those choices contextually or self reflecting about mistakes in the current generation.

Leftists often allow the loudest and most unstable voices to speak for them, simply because they have been wronged and have the right in the group's estimation.  But this causes damage to the very social movements those people are championing.  We see that this can lead to hostile pockets of outrage culture where even someone clearly trying to do the right thing and adapt quickly to the mob's demands can't ever seem to do enough to please, simply because of their career path, skin color, age or gender, and the worst thing is how few liberals are able to see that hypocrisy.
This group mentality is bad for everyone, and now that social media is so interlinked with the real world, and waves of viral anger and condemnation can spread much faster than context or more thoughtful argument does, they give right wing or centrist influencers the ammunition they need to cause people to paint the whole left with one brush.

I get it, I know all the counter arguments to what I just said and many of them have merit , but that doesn't change the perception.  We need to get our priorities straight, work within the bounds of reality, and clean house if we want to get things done.