Re: The best recorder for recording lectures?

Agreeing with Haily here.

Olympus recorders weren't all that great once upon a time if you cared about quality, but they've stepped up and are now pretty darn good. They are far from out of date! I have no idea what Olympus recorders are being sold in South Africa, though. You guys tend to get stuff a little late sometimes, but the LSP4 has been out for about a year if memory serves, maybe a bit longer, and is certainly a great option if you can get it. If not, any Olympus from the past 5 or 6 years is probably going to serve you well, and have very usable voice guidance. That's one thing I really wish other recorders could do, since as much as I love my Zoom H1N and H5, I just don't have as much confidence with them. Unfortunately, the Olympus's tend to be a little more expensive than the Zooms. So if you can't afford the Olympus LSP4, look at the Zoom H1N, they're both great.

Alternatively, the microphone on many phones can serve your purpose well. The quality won't be quite as pristine, but those microphones are great for recording lectures. If you have an Android, though, you might want to test it out before you stick with it; Some Androids have horrible microphones. I think this is largely becoming a thing of the past, but I haven't heard enough modern Androids and enough manufacturer's microphones to know what's going on these days.

Those microphones you put in your ears are called binaural microphones. They have a very unique sound. I'm not sure what the common models are these days. I have a set of decent Sound Professionals ones. They make great recordings if you like the binaural sound, but for me at least, it would be too much work to use them to record lectures. Furthermore I have bad experiences with them not lasting through heavy day-to-day use; they're tiny and delicate so you have to be careful with them.