Re: reflections from a former developer

Battle zone reloaded was probably my last gasp at trying to make audio games in the near future, and it isn't even the fault of audio games really. I think it's just my inability to program sustainable and extensible games, or to juggle all the pieces of large projects. I often feel like i am trying to manage too much data at once, and trying to make things like a level editor, with all of the things I wanted so I could design the level in a  wysiwyg interface, just didn't work out for me. I really liked the smoothe sound design in bzr, and I realize that that's probably my forte when it comes to game creation and development. I do a lot better creating content than actually programming infrastructure. TO be fair, I'm a lot better at programming now that I started my job so maybe I wouldn't be that bad now, but I don't have high confidence. I think my hope for bzr was to make a side scroller that combined the best parts of the bokurano deboukin series with the best of the beat em up fighting games I'd played. Again, it's showing its age. Side scrollers seem to age really fast, and yet there is still plenty of room to innovate.
I have yet to see anything like temple run, which is something I had considered making a few years ago when endless runner games were all the rage. Right now the major endless runners we have, Perilous Marathon, Fear, and Endless Runner, move the player in a single direction, forward, and the player controls every step in the other directions, but I'm pretty sure that there was jumping, platforming and strategic falling involved in temple run, which would be the next step of the journey for the runner games.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : microsoftsam203 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : microsoftsam203 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : electro via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JLove via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JLove via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : caio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Wilson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JLove via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector