Re: reaper! I want to learn it!

Yick!  Midi is a whole nother can of worms I have yet to fully open as it pertains to reaper.  I've been messing around with it to some extent because of my Komplete Kontrol and other Native Instrument purchases, but I'm no pro with it yet.  I'll just give you a little something to consider.
This may sound like a stupid question, but given that I've been tripped up by it, I'll ask it anyway... are you sure you're actually recording?  The reason I ask is that you imply that your vst instrument is in fact working because you can hear it playing through your speakers and the like during the recording process, but once you actualy go to play your recording there's nothing there.  Select the track with your virtual instrument, hit the applications key, then up arrow to Record: output submenu.  IN here, you want the option that says output, midi.  Hit enter on it and try recording again.  Let us know if that doesn't work.