Re: starting into sound design, any tips?

Tip: when downloading sounds of any kind, always ask yourself how you can use them to make something new.  A sound may already sound good as it is, but it really is amazing how much some reverb, delay or even an exciter can bring to a sound.  Mix it with something else and then you have something completely different you may not have originally imagined.  Forget the end result and work with what you have in the here and now.  It doesn't always take huge sound libs though.  Stop thinking, "I want to make the most amazing cinematic booms bangs and roars."  Instead, start asking yourself, "If I take this white noise, expand the stereo image, reverb, delay!  Ow, that's loud!  Turn it down?  Ok, that's a bit better.  Now, what happens if I remove this or that frequency!  Hey, cool!  What if I have a sweep from here to there?  And maybe I add a phlanger to work along side that sweep?  Hmm, now, what if I reverse it?  Slow it down?  Speed it up?  Change the pitch?  Reverse it?  Maybe I should put the reversed take on the right channel and leave the left unmodified?  Hmm, something's missing in the middle hear..."