Re: Open-source complete game in BGT

I have to agree with Camlorn here. While I like BGT for what it does I believe Python is actually a better choice in the long run. There is a lot of choices for APIs and modules, and it is fully cross-platform to boot. these days with the number of blind Mac and Linux users using something other than Windows it always helps to design something that can easily be ported to a different platform besides Windows.

I also agree with the sentiment that starting out with a side-scroller isn't the smartest move for a newbie. Not only would a newbie not know what the code does, but the author of the game would pretty much have to write a tutorial explaining what each and everything does. If he or she is going to do that they might as well tell them how to program in Python, explain the various APIs, and write a few sample games to get the basics across before just handing a newbie a fully operational side-scroller with no clue how the code works.

To be honest I can't h elp but see this as a futile attempt for newbies to skip all the work of learning the language, tools, and APIs to go from point A to point Z all in one go. Learning to program games does not work that way, and if someone skips all the educational stuff and jumps head first into a fully functional game they aren't going to understand a single thing because they didn't take the time to learn what they need to know.