Re: a question regarding hearing aids and headphones

I also have a question, as my hearing has been declining rather more than I'd like lately, and so hearing aids are something I've been thinking about. I have lost quite a bit of my ability to hear high frequencies on my left side, yet I really don't want to just get one aid, that just sounds kinda weird to me. I would rather have two, just because my right ear isn't so great either... But my question is this. How will my directional hearing be impacted if I do that? Or is that even a problem? From my understanding, when wearing an aid you are left with just the input from its microphone. If I had one aid for my left ear, that ear would be able to hear normally. Combined with my right ear, which is significantly better, I should still be able to tell from where things are coming from and where they are in relation to me. But if I have both aids, all I have is amplified sound in both ears, right? Or do they relate to each other and give you, I guess, a stereo experience? Also, How will things like distance work? Will I still be able to hear how far or close something is to me, say, when using my cane to bounce sound waves off a building, or analyzing near and far parallel traffic at an intersection? Since hearing aids amplify sound, won't they eventually ruin your hearing even more?
  Sorry if this is a lot, and for taking the discussion off topic slightly, or if any of these questions are rather dumb lol, but I'm just trying to get as much information as I can here before I go and buy a pair, @6, that was helpful. Thank you.