Re: Scarlet Shells, concept demo 1!

Here are some suggestions. First of all, light attack, medium attack, heavy attack and block. That's all the buttons you really need for melee. You could make throws by simultaneously hitting light and heavy, you can stun an enemy by blocking at just the right time ( similar to a flawless block in MK ). And you could have so many combos with just those.

The rage meter, OK, so rather than one misstep killing it, here is my suggestion. First, I really really don't like the way it is now where you're getting pounded on and you just have to punch reeeeeeal reeeeal slow. That doesn't make sense to me. So here's what I think. After four successive strikes at any speed, the meter will start to fill. Landing more strikes fills the meter more, being struck reduces it. Jumping reduces it by say 30% but won't nullify it necessarily. Blocking strikes will neither cause it to fill nor to drain. Pulling off a counter attack ( by first blocking at just the right time, then taking advantage of their stunned state to launch strikes ) should fill it by 30%. Also, landing a successful throw should increase it as well.

When the meter fills and you're in rage mode, it drains like an hourglass but faster. Launching successful throws, combos, not getting hit and landing counter attacks are all ways to stay in rage mode. Being hit too many times in a short amount of time will drain it very rapidly. Also, using guns in rage mode should make them wildly inaccurate and cause the meter to drain faster. If you launch a throw but it is tekked, you lose some rage, but if you are thrown, it reduces by half.

As for stats, I think any successful combo should yield an increase, even if it's a very very small one. They'll add up over time. In rage mode, successful combos, throws, and counter attacks could multiply the stat gain by a certain amount.

If a player can manage to stay in rage mode for all of the enemies in a level, it's not balanced right. Rage mode should be relative short if you don't work to keep it up, and even then, that should only slow the drain. Unless someone's really damn good, they won't be able to over turn it and start building back up.
I see your kickstarter got smashed within like two days. That's really cool and I'm glad to see that, because this game definitely deserves to be made. I just want to see the melee system match the rest of the dopeness that this game is, and I think that will happen.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : BlindNinja via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : titan_of_war via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Lirin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : titan_of_war via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Lirin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : TheTrueSwampGamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : assault_freak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Lirin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Lirin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : titan_of_war via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : titan_of_war via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : assault_freak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : assault_freak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : BlindNinja via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : GrannyCheeseWheel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sightlessHorseman via Audiogames-reflector